Electrical Designer – Grimsby, ON
Handling Specialty is exclusively dedicated to the custom design and manufacture of material handling systems for demanding applications. We are considered the premier source for engineered-to-order lifting, tilting, rotating and traversing equipment for clients seeking innovative solutions, exceptional professional support, world class credentials and unmatched experience. For more than 40 years, we have been providing solutions in a wide range of industries including, Automotive, Aerospace and Defense, Entertainment, Rail, and Factory Automation.
Production of shop drawings
- Using a CAD software package modify existing drawings to reflect changes
- Create new electrical schematics, and create equipment layout and interconnection drawings
Specifying components and creating bills of materials
Assisting with the production of maintenance manuals using Microsoft word
- Assist the quality control staff with the preparation of test plans and procedures for each part of the electrical system.
- The review of electrical schematics, layout and interconnection drawings submitted by subcontractors to confirm fit, function and compliance to specifications.
- Insuring that the “scope of supply” of each sub-contractor does not leave “gaps” when the different subassemblies are mated together to form the “system”.
Programming of electronic devices
- Motion control design and programming
- Modify and download a logic program to a PLC and HMI screen
- Create a PLC logic program from scratch
- Create a HMI screen from scratch
- Assist shop personnel during manufacturing
- Assist installation and service personnel to debug equipment
- Provide technical phone support to clients
- Estimating material and labor costs
- Good attitude, above average work ethic, pride in the quality of work produced, a willingness and need to continually learn new things
- Bright team player who is accustomed to being on the floor helping out the controls department, at a computer designing or contributing in a meeting
- Excellent problem solving skills. Analytical and technical skills will be required to find solutions to the challenges of manufacturing custom material handling equipment.
- A “self starter” who must able to “multi-task” with minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment.
- Wisdom stemming from experiences in balancing electrical design work in conjunction with mechanical assemblies
- Respect for and even design methodologies for conduit and wiring runs on equipment
- Electrical troubleshooting ability
- Good written and oral communications
- Able and willing to travel internationally as required for onsite commissioning of equipment.
- Competency with AutoCAD
- Good computer skills, Proficiency with Microsoft word and excel
- Familiarity with the requirements of ISO quality control systems
- Ability to read and understand basic ladder logic motor control electrical schematics
- Previous experience with any or all of the following standards: Canadian Electrical code, National Electrical code (USA), General Motors ES1 & CCH1, NFPA 79
- PLC programming experience with RS logix 500/5000 and/or Siemens
- Rockwell Factory Talk
- Proven ability to design electrical control systems for industrial machinery.
- Siemens experience
- Hydraulics design
- A talent for estimating
This is a challenging position that requires someone with a technical background, solid problem solving skills plus a creative yet methodical approach. If you want to join a successful, dynamic team and believe you have what it takes, email your cover letter and resume referencing this job to Shannon Clinton.